Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Mini-Reviews

The Feminine Mystique (Betty Friedan, 1963) - The seminal work that kickstarted the feminist movement of the 60s, it lives up to its hype and more. I thought it was about time that, as an avowed feminist (see November 2002 declaration on this very blog), I do some heavy reading of the important and controversial feminist literature. FM was my starting point and while it may seem outdated now, it is truly incredible to see the direct consequences of Friedan's observations 40 years later. She tears away the idyllic Stepford Wives image of American femininity bit by bit, backed up every step of the way by solid reporting and research and a grasp of the intellectual and cultural movements that came before. I think it should be a must-read in university social science courses.

The Bonfire of the Vanities (Tom Wolfe, 1987) - Rarely have I been entertained by a "literary" (read: non-trashy) novel from start to finish the way I was with this book. Above everything else - its satiric tone and social commentary on New York City society in the late 80s - it is a damn good story. The characters and situations are funny and true-to-life. I'm glad I read it after living in the city, because every few pages I'd find myself recognizing a familiar character-type or institution that is uniquely New York. One of the best novels I have ever read.

The Trouble With Islam (Irshad Manji, 2004) - I picked this up because I'd read commentary on it - mostly talking about how controversial it is. Also because every Muslim I ever heard mention it brought up its faults. The writing style is that of an open letter to her fellow Muslims and its informality and brash tone were jarring for me. But apart from style quibbles, this book alternately riled me up (especially when talking about women's issues) and had me shaking my head in despair. I can see how some say Manji has taken the call for reform too far too fast, but I admire her for saying some very harsh truths and not holding back.

The Sun Also Rises (Ernest Hemingway, 1926) - I actually read this much earlier this year while still in New York, and it was my first foray into Hemingway. After this book, I'm hooked. It chronicles the life of an American expat journalist and his friends in Paris and is beautifully written. This is the type of book that, had I read even a few years ago, I would have found unbearably depressing, because of its grim portrait of the "Lost Generation" aimlessly drinking away their lives. Instead, what shone through for me was the poetry and simplicity of the language, and the harsh romance of it all. One of my all-time favourites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home